Family Addiction Support
Addiction is a family disease. As your loved one’s addiction to drugs or alcohol progressively worsens, you may experience fear, anxiety, anger, guilt and even abuse. There may be significant turmoil in your life as a result.
Family members may think they are protecting and helping their loved one, but sometimes this type of support can enable the addictive behavior to continue. This includes trying to restrict or control alcohol or drug use to control the problem or keeping the addiction a secret to avoid the shame and stigma. These behaviors are known as codependency.
If your spouse, child, significant other or sibling is in treatment for drug or alcohol dependency, you need support, too.
The family program includes:
- Answers and education for the family about the disease of addiction
- Weekly family contact with the patient’s therapist
- Family relapse prevention plan to end enabling behaviors
- Support for family members who have been directly affected by their loved one’s addiction
- Development of an aftercare plan for the patient and family
- Approved therapeutic visitations in a safe and supportive environment
- Aftercare support for families after treatment
Families sometimes view substance use disorder as a condition limited to the addict. Research has shown, however, that family therapy as a part of a recovery program is one of the most effective approaches for treating addiction in both both adults and adolescents.
Families experience a great deal of pain and suffering from the many failed attempts to help a loved one. The good news is interventions do work and can jump start the recovery process; not only for the addict, but for the entire family.
This program provides family members and loved ones with skills and tools necessary to begin their own healing process and develop their own resiliency. This intensive weekend includes experience with group work, lectures and presentations addressing various dynamics of the disease.
If you or a loved on is seeking help, please call us at 704.414.7227 or fill out the information below for immediate contact back.