Everyone at The Blanchard Institute is eager to expand our outpatient services and support with a second North Carolina addiction treatment facility. This new Lake Norman location comes in part as a response to the astonishing increase in both reported cases and deaths related to mental health and substance abuse since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The growing need for addiction treatment and mental health support is not new to the Lake Norman Area; however, since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the increase in those struggling with addiction is astounding. As of June 2020, 40% of Americans reported struggling with mental health or substance abuse and these numbers have only grown over the last year.
“This simply cannot be ignored,” said Ward Blanchard, our Founder and CEO. “Since the start of the pandemic, more than 40 U.S. states have seen an increase in opioid-related mortality and unfortunately North Carolina is one of them. The increase in those struggling with mental health disorders and substance use is staggering and this is a crisis that will leave a mark long after Covid.”
Across the United States:
- During late June 2020, 40% of Americans reported struggling with mental health or substance abuse.
- Approximately 30% of the adult population reported binge drinking in the past month
- From March 2020-March 2021, CDC projects 88,000 Americans lost their lives to opioid overdose related deaths.
Within North Carolina and the Lake Norman Area:
- According to Mental Health America’s 2021 report, North Carolina ranks 44th nationally in access to mental health care.
- In 2020, behavioral health discharges from Mecklenburg County emergency room increased by 70%
- Mental Health in Mecklenburg March 2020-March 2021
- Approximately 60% of adult residents experienced significant increase in depression
- Approximately 70% of adult residents experienced significant increase in feelings of isolation and loneliness
- Approximately 80% of adult residents experienced significant increase in anxiety
Our goal at The Blanchard Institute is to help these individuals and their families heal by providing the comprehensive outpatient treatment Lake Norman has been missing. “We hope that other Lake Norman businesses and residents will participate in our grand opening as a way to recognize the significance of this problem and support the community that is working hard to change it,” Blanchard said.
It is important for those struggling with substance use and mental health disorders to know that they are not alone, and that The Blanchard Institute is here to help in the Charlotte area and beyond. If you or a loved one are struggling, please reach out to our team today to learn more about our Lake Norman outpatient treatment options.